The holidays are a time of joy and celebration. They are also a time of giving and appreciation. With all the excitement of the season it can be easy to forget our furry friends in need, shelter animals. Below is a list of things you can do that don’t take a lot of time, but make a huge difference to your local shelter.
1. Donate your time. The gift of your time can be an amazing thing. In a few short hours you can truly make a huge difference in an animal’s life. Animal shelters and rescue organizations are often understaffed and rely on the kindness of volunteers to help provide care and exercise to their animals. This can be as easy as walking dogs or cuddling with cats for whatever amount of time you can spare.
2. Donate funds. No time to volunteer? The gift of money might be the easiest thing you can do this year to help your local shelter. A small donation can go a long way to help.
3. Donate goods. Most shelters have a “wish list” of general items they need to keep the shelter running on a daily basis. There is no better feeling than dropping off a few bags of useful items you know will make a difference this holiday season. Sometimes these can even be items you already have around the house like paper towels, bleach, old blankets, gently used collars and leashes, toys, etc.
4. Sponsor an animal. Some shelters allow you to make donations to help pay for the care and feeding of specific animals. They may be long term residents, animals that have needed extra medical care or other animals in the care of the shelter or rescue.
5. Donate to an animal shelter in someone’s honor. Do you know someone who lost a beloved pet this year? Or have you lost a loved one who was an animal lover? Donating to a local shelter in that person or pet’s name is a wonderful way to honor them and help those in need.
Below are a few of the many wonderful rescue organizations and shelters we have here in Georgia. An internet search of your local area will reveal many great organizations for you to choose from. Pick one that speaks to you & spread the holiday cheer!